1. Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.
Adopted and opened for signature, ratification and accession by General Assembly resolution 39/46 of 10 December 1984 entry into force 26 June 1987, in accordance with article 27 (1)
2. Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict
Adopted and opened for signature, ratification and accession by General Assembly resolution A/RES/54/263 of 25 May 2000, Entry into force 12 February 2002
1. African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights
2. African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child
1. La Constitution de la République du Sénégal LOI N° 2001-03 DU 22 JANVIER 2001 PORTANT CONSTITUTION, MODIFIÉE
2. Code Pénal Sénégal, Basis Law n° 65-69, 21 Juillet 1965
3. Statute of the Extraordinary African Chambers within the Senegalese judicial system for the prosecution of international crimes committed on the territory of the Republic of Chad during the period from 7June 1982 to 1 December 1990
1. Clément Abaïfouta and 6, 999 Others v the Republic of Chad (Hissène Habré case), Appeals Chamber, Extraordinary African Chamber (Dakar), African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, 10 November 2017 (pending)
(The case is tried for sexual violence against women, not for male sexual violence but it has had a great impact on the social landscape of Criminal Law in Africas )
Reports of the United Nations
1. UN Convention on the Rights of Child (CRC), Consideration of Reports Submitted by the States parties under Article 44 of the Convention, CRC/C/SEN/3-5, Senegal, 11 March 2015
Reports of other International / Regional Organizations / National Governments
1. Senegal Human Rights Report, Section 6 Discrimination, Sexual Violence, and Trafficking in Persons, 2016.
(The report encompasses Rape, Domestic Violence, Genital Mutilation, Sexual Harassment, under the “Women” heading. It also touches upon Sexual Exploitation of Children including boys).
2. Child Soldiers Global Report 2001 – Senegal
3. Amnesty International, Senegal Failing to Live up to its Promises: Recommendations on the eve of the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights’ Review on Senegal, 56th Session, “Discrimination on the basis of real or imputed sexual orientation”, April-May 2015, pp. 9-11.
4. USAID/PAEM, Promoting Safe Middle Schools in Senegal, Report on 2010 Campaign
Books, Articles and Newspaper Publications
1. Niang C. I., Tapsoba P., Weiss E., Diagne M., Niang Y., Moreau A. M., Gomis D., Wade A. S., Seck K., Castle C., “It’s raining stones: Stigma, Violence and HIV Vulnerability among Men Who Have Sex With Men in Dakar, Senegal”, in Culture, Health and Sexuality, Taylor and Francis Ltd., Volume 5, Issue 6, November-December 2003, pp. 499-512.
2. Carlsson M., Swedish Defence University, Thesis “Conflict-Related Sexual Violence: A Cross-National Comparison of Circumstances Related to State Forces’ Use of Sexual Violence in Armed Conflicts”, Stockholm, January 2016.
3. Coram Children’s Legal Centre, Over-protected and under-served, Senegal Case-Study, Chapter 4 Law, heteronormativity and discrimination and Chapter 5 Sexual Violence and Law, International Planned Parenthood Federation, March 2014, p.20-21.
4. IOL Online Journal, “Senegal opens up on child rape problem”, Entry “Africa”, 16 August 2009.
5. Leye MM, Fare A, Wone I, Diedhiou D, Diongue M, Niang K, Seck I, Ndiaye P, Dia AT., “Study of determinants of rape in minors in the Kolda region of Senegal”, published by PubMed, January-February 2014.
1. Making Gender-Based Violence Unacceptable in Senegal, 01 May 2019, Written by: Stephanie Desmon, John Hopkis Centre for Communication Programs
2. Habré guilty as charged, 01 JUN 2016 / BY OTTILIA ANNA MAUNGANIDZE, Institute for Security Studies
3. The DHS Program, Gender Corner, Senegal Gender Country Profile, Key Indicator, 2005
4. The African Child Policy Forum held in Dakar Senegal, Sexual Exploitation of Children in Africa: Background Paper Prepared on Legal Framework and Law Enforcement for the African Technical Preparation Meeting for the World Congress III Against Sexual Exploitation of Children and Adolescents, 24-25 September 2008
5. Identifying the HIV Risk and Sexual Health Needs of Men Who Have Sex with Men in Africa, by Population Council, 1 April 2013